[Radiance-general] .pic precision

Richard Murray rfmurray at sas.upenn.edu
Thu Feb 24 23:26:24 CET 2005

I'm starting to use Radiance in research on visual perception of 3D
shape.  The .pic file format assigns each colour channel one byte, plus
a common exponent for all three, resulting in about 1% precision.  When
testing peoples' ability to detect faint patterns, 1% isn't precise
enough, e.g., humans can detect sine wave patterns at less than 1%
contrast, but in the .pic format, a 1% amplitude sine wave would come
out more like a square wave.

 From a quick look through rpmain.c and rpict.c, it looks like the the
floating-point COLOR struct is used throughout the rendering
calculations, and that the conversion to COLR is made at the very end,
in fwritescan(), when writing the .pic file.  This suggests that I
could just replace fwritescan() with a routine that writes the file at
a higher precision.

My question is this:  are there other factors in the rendering
calculations (rounding, etc.) that limit the precision to around 1%
anyway?

Thanks,

Richard