[Radiance-general] Plotting specific points

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 18:05:39 CET 2005

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately, there is no program that will do what you want directly,
as it would be an easy thing to do.  The only way I could figure out to
do this without writing a very nasty pcomb script is a hack involving
vwrays and glow sources in rpict.  For a 1024x768 image, it would go
something like this:

% echo void glow sglow 0 0 4 100 0 0 0 > sources.rad
% vwrays -i orig.pic < image.pts | rcalc -o 'sglow source s${recno} 0 0
4 ${$4} ${$5} ${$6} 2' >> sources.rad
% oconv sources.rad | rpict -vf orig.pic -w -x 1024 -y 768 \
	| pcompos orig.pic 0 0 -t 1 - 0 0 > spotty.pic
% rm sources.rad

The file "orig.pic" is your original rendering, and "image.pts" is a
set of x and y picture coordinates (x left to right, y bottom to top)
giving positions in this image where you want to place red spots.
(Change the echo command if you want a different color.)  The vwrays
then generates rays to each point in the image, which get converted to
2-degree distant sources by the rcalc command.  (Again, you may wish to
alter this if 2 is too big or too small.)  Finally, we render these
sources and superimpose them on the original picture using rpict and
pcompos (with a threshold), resulting in "spotty.pic".

I haven't tried this, and I probably messed up some bit of it, but
hopefully you'll be able to sort it out.

-Greg