[Radiance-general] Angular selectivity of blinds

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 07:22:18 CET 2005

It means that the .cal file assumes the surface is aligned in the x-y
plane.  Assuming you want a vertical grid and your z-axis is up, adding
the following transform to the string arguments would rotate the
material so that your surface was instead in the x-z plane:

	-rx -90

Since we use a right-handed coordinate system in Radiance, and positive
angles correspond to counter-clockwise rotations looking down the
selected axis, this rotates the positive y direction in the original
orientation so it is now in the positive z direction.  Since this
material is symmetric front-to-back, it actually didn't matter in this
case which direction we rotated it.

If you want the surface in the y-z plane instead,  you would use:

	-ry -90

This rotates the positive x-axis into the positive z direction.  Just
to be clear, your BRTDfunc would look like so:

void BRTDfunc grating
12
         0       0       0
         spectrans spectrans spectrans
         0       0       0
         grating.cal -ry -90
0
13
         rrefl grefl brefl
         rtrns gtrns btrns
         rrefl grefl brefl
         A10 A11 A12 A13

You just add a couple of arguments to the string arg count, and tack
them on the end.

I hope this helps.
-Greg