[Radiance-general] Creating movie from still images

Rob Guglielmetti rpg at rumblestrip.org
Fri Feb 4 22:13:12 CET 2005

> is there a command (or series of commands) in unix that can generate a
> movie/animation from a series of still images (.gif, .jpg, .tif)?
> I need to automate the generation of a movie with scripts.  It will just
> be a sequence of still images.

Hi Judy,

Gifsicle will make an animated gif for you:
http://www.lcdf.org/~eddietwo/gifsicle/

I've used MakeAVI for years.  This will make you a nice AVI file using a
variety of codecs, but it's a Windows program:
http://makeavi.sourceforge.net/

These are quick & dirty, but easy.  The animated gif is nice because
*everyone* has something to play those back, but you have no control over
the playback process.  An mpeg or something would be better because of the
better playback control.  For this you need mencoder or something Jack
uses and I forgot the name.  I never did figure out how to use mencoder,
but I'd like to.  I think Jack and Francesco have some experience with
this stuff...

- Rob Guglielmetti
www.rumblestrip.org