[Radiance-general] Deterministic calculations with Radiance

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 19:04:19 CET 2005

Perhaps.  If the pixel sampling rate were high enough (e.g. pfilt -x
/10 -y /10), you might get some stability.  At that point, you
shouldn't have to worry about the random number generator.  However,
the MC ray tracing literature is full of examples where even 200+
samples/pixel is not enough to avoid large variance in some regions,
and the same can be true for Radiance, especially with specular
samples.

-G