[Radiance-general] Deterministic calculations with Radiance

Gregory J. Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 15:21:18 CET 2005

Hi Chris,

If you turn off all stochastic processes in Radiance, you get the worst
imaginable results.  I don't think there's any way to get repeatable
output from Radiance that isn't terrible.  To see what I'm talking
about, try compiling with the -DNORANDOM flag.  Even with this flag
set, the results will be hypersensitive to small changes in
illumination values, etc., as the decision on whether to trace
particular rays may be go above or below the threshold.  The only way
to avoid this is to set -lw 0 and rely on the -lr parameter to end
recursion.

The ideal approach would be to use a pseudo-random number generator
that is repeatable.  In principle, Radiance does this, but due to
differences between machines and implementations, in practice it does
not work out that way.

-Greg