[Radiance-general] sharing the ambient cache

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 06:48:23 CET 2005

Hi Rob,

Jack de Valpine or John Mardaljevic may know more about this than I
do, as they have experience using different ambient settings in
different runs, whereas I tend to stick with the same settings I
start with.  In general, it's safe to run with reduced ambient
settings in subsequent renderings when you share an ambient file.
Specifically, it's OK to relax the -ad and -as settings, and -aa and -
ar as well.  You can reduce -ab (though -ab 0 won't use the ambient
file values at all), but I wouldn't recommend changing -av or -aw.
(There is no speed advantage to doing so, anyway.)

-Greg