[Radiance-general] No more Mr. Nice Guy

Rob Guglielmetti rpg at rumblestrip.org
Fri Dec 16 06:22:48 CET 2005

Greg Ward wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> This message is most relevant to Mac users, but introduces a change
> that may affect rpict and rtrace performance in future releases on
> all platforms.  Specifically, I have taken out the NICE= macro
> settings from the Rmakefile in src/rt, so future builds will run all
> Radiance programs at the standard user priority. <snip>
>
> I wish I had made this discovery a couple of years ago....

Me too.

Shoot Greg, I've had this PB for almost four years and I've always felt
it was sluggish compared to equivalent horsepower wintel boxes.  I will
most certainly try out the new source on Saturday and report back.  I'm
still on Panther here, and I should mention that my Energy Saver panel
does not have a specific setting for Processor Performance, just times
for spinning down the HDD and dimming the display.  So I'll try the new
source when it's available and see what happens.

Thanks for the report!  And rub it in about the quad G5, why don't
you...  =8-)

- Rob Guglielmetti