[Radiance-general] rendering meshes with interpolated vertex normals

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 17:39:29 CET 2005

Mark is right.  To get the correct appearance out of a triangle mesh,
you actually need to use a displacement map to give the underlying
model the correct appearance w.r.t. grazing shadows such as this
one.  Implementing displacement maps in a ray tracer is pretty
difficult, and in the end it costs more to render them than simply
increasing the resolution of your T-mesh as Mark suggests.

-Greg