[Radiance-general] Fw: How to increase the rendering speed?

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 18:58:52 CET 2005

Hi Huang,

Just in general, I prefer that people not post images in their
messages to the mailing list, but you did, so I am, too...

The attached plot shows the correct Fresnel behavior for smooth
dielectric surfaces, including plastics, waxed floors, and just about
anything else with a specular reflection.  Radiance 3.6 uses an
approximation to Fresnel reflection that is fairly accurate down to
an index of refraction of 1.35 or so (water), but this was left out
of the version that became Desktop Radiance due to normalization
concerns I have since resolved.

The problem in your case is that you have specified a material that
doesn't make sense, physically -- a perfectly smooth (zero roughness)
floor with a specular reflection of 0.004.  I challenge you to find
such a surface in the real world -- this corresponds to an index of
refraction of about 1.135, which is greater than any of the gasses
but less than any liquid at room temperature.  (Check out the web
page <http://www.luxpop.com/#index%20of%20refraction%A0> if you want
to know some physical ranges.)

Be that as it may, Radiance should really disable this approximation
when the specularity is below the values for which it is accurate,
which is around 1.8% (n=1.31).  I will fix this in the next release.
In the meantime, you can set a roughness value of 0.01 or so to
eliminate the problem in your model, as Radiance already disables the
Fresnel approximation for rough surfaces, even when the roughness is
very small.

As for the subject of your message, the best way to speed up your
rendering is to increase the -aa value while setting the AMBFILE=
variable in your rad input file.