[Radiance-general] What's causing these artifacts???

Marcus Jacobs marcdevon at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 5 19:05:50 CET 2005

Dear Group

In some of my recent renders, I have encountered some very specious
artifacts. I generally specify a high number of ambient division (usually
around 3072) and ambient super samples (500-1000) for my renders.

The first ones are these mysterious dark splotches:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/marcdevon/detail?.dir=b3e9&.dnm=4bcbre2.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/marcdevon/detail?.dir=b3e9&.dnm=c76fre2.jpg&.src=ph

I really can't figure out what's causing these. I am unsure if this is
caused by poor interpolation. Also, occasionally I have come across the
following bright spots:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/marcdevon/detail?.dir=b3e9&.dnm=e02ere2.jpg&.src=ph

No matter how many ambient divisions that I specify (I went up to 16,000
ambient divisions with 2000 ambient super samples),  I can't get rid of
these bright spots. The problem with these particular artifacts is that I
can not predict when it will occur. What I need the most when performing
renders is predictability. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Marcus