[Radiance-general] Mac Tiger quirks

Gregory J. Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 05:19:52 CEST 2005

Hi Rob,

Did you try doing a "Get Info" from the Finder on a .pic file and
telling it to set the default application for all files of this type
to Photosphere?  That's what I would try.  It's better to use
the .hdr suffix, because Macintosh PICT files sometimes use .pic
rather than .pict as their suffix, and this confuses OS X no end.  In
particular, Tiger is always running it's mdimport application on .pic
files, which takes forever to figure out that it's not actually a
PICT file at all but a Radiance picture.  The details of why this is
are hard to explain and I'm not sure I understand them myself, so
it's just better to use .hdr for Radiance pictures on the Mac.  I
should probably change rad to use this suffix by default, but it's
hard to change a convention like that without breaking a lot of
things other people have built on it.

-Greg

P.S.  Regarding Thomas' comments *.exr is the OpenEXR format, and
*.hdr is usually interpreted as Radiance format under OS X.  The
latest mouse from Apple is 3-button, and there is generally good
support for third-party three-button mice.  The one-button mouse
works using the control- and option- keys, but it's a pain that way.
There is a good set of OS X books available from O'Reilly, which may
even be found as free PDFs online.  My favorite is "Mac OS X for Unix
Geeks," which I found on the web somewhere.  I have the hardcopy as
well, but I can't seem to locate the link at the moment -- maybe it
was a fluke.