[Radiance-general] Illuminance values

Rob Guglielmetti rpg at rumblestrip.org
Sun Apr 24 06:31:07 CEST 2005

On Apr 22, 2005, at 4:32 AM, Marija wrote:
> My scene is simple:
> 1.Rectangular room, with ideally diffuse surfaces. Reflectances are
> 0.8 0.8 0.8.
> 2.Room dimensions are 10x10x10 and the center is positioned in the
> (0,0,0).
> 3.In the middle of the room is placed a luminaire, with indirect light
> distribution. It is oriented toward ceiling, so workplane illuminance
> has only indirect component.

> Which value is the most appropriate for -ab parameter? Should I also
> use some other ambient parameters?
> I've tried with different -ab values and results are ascending, so I
> don't know which result is the most accurate.

The answer to the first question is, whatever value you deem
appropriate.  The answer to the second one is, probably.

The raw truth of using Radiance is that there is no single correct
answer for parameterizing your simulations. The proper settings for the
myriad options will differ with every single simulation you do, and
depend on... pretty much everything.  The good news is that the rad
utility can be put to good use as you get started with Radiance.  rad
makes good guesses about proper parameters for your simulations based
on a few basic assumptions about your scene.  You can even save those
assumptions to a file and reuse them in subsequent rpict and rtrace
runs.  Refer to the manpage of rpict for more onfo on that.  There are
also some good discussions of this on this list's archives (I should
know, since I learned about this from this very list).