[Radiance-general] ximage vs. pcond

Roland William Fleming roland.fleming at tuebingen.mpg.de
Mon Apr 18 12:44:02 CEST 2005

Hi ---

Why does pcond produce a (slightly) different tonemapping from ximage
-e auto ?  The contrast is better with ximage and I would like to take
the output as my final image.  Is there an easy way to do this ?  I use
the default values for all options.

A few things I've tried:

ximage -e auto hdr.pic
# produces nice high-contrast rendition of image

pcond hdr.pic ldr.pic
ximage ldr.pic
# tonemapping is inferior

ra_tiff ldr.pic ldr.tif
xview ldr,tif
# tonemapping is still not good.  This suggests that it is not the 2.2
gamma of ximage that makes the images look good, because ra_tiff also
uses 2.2 gamma correction (according to the documentation).

  ximage -e auto ldr,pic
# tonemapping is better, but still not quite as good as the original.

Thanks for any tips!
Roland Fleming

r o l a n d   f l e m i n g   p h d
r e s e a r c h   s c i e n t i s t

m a x   p l a n c k   i n s t i t u t e   f o r   b i o l o g i c a l
c y b e r n e t i c s
s p e m a n n s t r .   3 8
7 2 0 7 6    t u e b i n g e n
g e r m a n y

t e l ::   [ + 4 9 ]   0 7 0 7 1   6 0 1 - 6 0 9