[Radiance-general] modeling glazings

Reinhart, Christoph Christoph.Reinhart at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Wed Sep 8 15:16:31 CEST 2004

Dear colleagues,

I know, I know. The topic of modeling glazings in Radiance using Optics 5
data has been extensively discussed in January 2004. I just reread the
emails with great interest in the archives. BUT I am still undecided whether
to go with Optics 5 is worth the effort.

in January, everybody agreed that creating a specific glazing in Optics 5
creates an output as follows:

#
# header info
void  glass       TestSystem_glass
0
0
3     0.638     0.647     0.568

void  BRTDfunc    TestSystem_front
10
      0.230     0.263     0.326
      0.585     0.594     0.521
      0 0 0
      .
0
9 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

void  BRTDfunc    TestSystem_back
10
      0.289     0.336     0.371
      0.585     0.594     0.521
      0 0 0
      .
0
9 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Philip mentioned that to use this material description, one would need "two
glass polygons for each window, one for the front and one for the back". I
assume this means:

TestSystem_front polygon FrontOfWindow
0 0
12     0     0     0
         1     0     0
        1     1    0
        0    1    0

TestSystem_back polygon BackOfWindow
0 0
12     0     0     -0.01
        0    1    -0.01
        1     1    -0.01
        1     0     -0.01

Is this correct? How does the glazing know its transmittance, i.e. how does
TestSystem_glass come into play? Also, does anybody have any references or
experience how much more accurate a simulation gets if one uses the full
optics 5 file instead of a stripped down version such as:

void  glass       TestSystem_glass
0
0
3     0.638     0.647     0.568

Any thoughts are elcome,

Christoph
Christoph Reinhart, Ph.D.                        tel: (613) 993-9703
Research Officer                                      fax: (613) 954-3733
Institute for Research in Construction      e-mail:
christoph.reinhart at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
National Research Council Canada        1200 Montreal Road M-24, Ottawa
Ontario K1A 0R6 Canada

Daylighting Analysis Software:
The Lightswitch Wizard (initial design)   www.buildwiz.com
<http://www.buildwiz.com/lightswitch/index.cfm>