[Radiance-general] Illums and 3 Sided Polygons

Greg Ward gward at lmi.net
Tue Sep 7 07:55:00 CEST 2004

Hi Marcus,

The trouble with your floor is that you have specified a very small,
but non-zero value for the surface roughness.  Radiance employs a
hybrid technique for computing specularity, which does a closed-form
computation of specular highlights related to light sources (including
your illum's) plus a Monte Carlo sampling of other soft-specular
reflections.  If you set the roughness to zero, you will see a perfect
mirror reflection of the window, without artifacts.  Presumably, this
is not what you are after.  Alternatively, you may increase your
surface roughness value and your reflection will improve.  Finally, you
can set the surface roughness to zero, then apply the included
"gloss.cal" function to achieve a pure Monte Carlo sampling of
reflected rays.  This will lead to greater noise in the result, but
will eliminate the source sampling artifacts you are now seeing:

wood_pattern texfunc mc_roughness
4 gloss_dx gloss_dy gloss_dz gloss.cal
0
3 .02 .02 .02

mc_roughness plastic wood_flooring
0
0
5 .5 .2 .05 .02 0

Of course, I am only guessing on the parameter values, but this should
give you an idea of what I mean.

-Greg