[Radiance-general] Approximating the gross daylight flux through venetian blinds.

Greg Ward gward at lmi.net
Fri Oct 29 05:28:27 CEST 2004

I gave it a little more thought, and I'm note sure how useful it would
be to have a BRTDfunc that approximates the aggregate behavior of
venetian blinds.  The only context where this might prove useful is in
performing daylight analyses where you don't care about external
reflections and the users doesn't care to visualize the space.  Because
a BRTDfunc doesn't include the directional-diffuse portion in its
indirect component, it wouldn't get an accurate contribution from light
reflected off external surfaces.  The best it could do is get a
reasonable value for the indirect solar due to light hitting the blinds
directly.  Mathematically, even this would be difficult -- I'm guessing
it would take me a day or two  to work up a reasonable approximation.
As far as the appearance goes, one would see a semi-translucent
material if one was to visualize your model with this material, which
wouldn't end up looking like blinds at all.

In summary, I don't think this would be much of an improvement over a
mkillum solution.  Does anyone else have some thoughts on this?