[Radiance-general] Alpha channel/object matte

Kirk Thibault kthibault at biomechanicsinc.com
Fri Nov 19 20:37:10 CET 2004

Rob-

I'm a biomechanical engineer who, for my job and as a hobby, has been
into 3d graphics, modeling, etc. for a while.  I primarily use Light
Wave and started getting into global illumination techniques in Light
Wave and the use of HDR images about 6 months ago.  I found Paul
Debevec's site and learned a lot about image-based lighting techniques
- on his site and in his work he frequently cites and uses Radiance.
Once I realized the limitations of Light Wave wrt image-based lighting,
i started looking into Radiance.  Wow.  The differences are obvious,
even to a new user like me.  Learning Radiance has made me very acutely
aware of the fact that I wasn't really thinking about the physics and
quantitative aspects of my modeling and rendering when using LightWave,
more just concentrating on the rendered output.  With Radiance,
considering the physical aspects of light and its interaction with
objects, etc. gives me a while new appreciation for composing a scene,
rendering it and compositing it.  The fact that the Radiance
environment is a collection of tools in the Unix setting is a new way
of problem solving for me, having been used to a single package that
does it all.  Understanding the tools and the way they interact is
presenting me with the steepest part of the learning curve currently,
as I imagine you can appreciate.  However, as I am beginning to find
out, this system leads to extremely robust and flexible solution
techniques.  I'm a Mac user, so I really appreciate the fact that now I
have an excuse to dust off and expand my Unix abilities.

I really am interested in photo-real combinations of synthetic objects
and "real" photographic environments.  I have been making my own "Light
Probe" images and rending Radiance scenes with them - mostly just test
scenes.  Now I am using the context of compositing synthetic objects
into "real" photographic plates as the basis for expanding my knowledge
of Radiance.  So, in short, it's more art-related than quantitative
analysis of lighting, but i am realizing that appreciating the
quantitative physical aspects of the lighting will give my scenes much
more realism and robustness.  The first time I emailed Greg he
suggested that I join the forum - there you have it.

Besides that, I can't think of any other software I've used where I can
email the author and get answers at all, let alone in a friendly and
nurturing manner.  That attitude is also evident in this forum's
community and i really appreciate it.  Thanks to all the folks on the
list who have helped me already and thanks in advance to those who will
answer my future questions - believe me, there will be more.  :-)

kirk