[Radiance-general] Alpha channel/object matte

Peter Apian-Bennewitz apian at pab-opto.de
Thu Nov 18 12:33:16 CET 2004

Kirk Thibault wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Is there a straightforward way to generate alpha channel or object
> matte 8 bit grayscale images in radiance for compositing purposes?

Hi Kirk,

At least not automatically by rpict itself. rayshade (and likely others
raytracers too) generate an optional alpha channel, and I nagged Greg to
add an optional fourth channel to the image format in ( - hang on, a
quick seach in my mail folders..) June 1993. That never made it, since a
change of format would have produced various nasty side effects. The
main reason for my wish was to paste the image into existing (tpically
outside) scenery easily. With fisheye HDRs being on-vogue now,
surrounding the model with an HDR source-primitive is a better way to
solve that merging problem.

So, you'll have to generate a z-file (-z option), use the z-value to
differentiate between an object hit (alpha opaque) and infinity (alpha
transparent) and convert that to whatever image format you need.
Suitable pcomb/pfilt/pvalue scripts are left as an exercise to the
reader ...

-Peter

--
 pab-opto, Freiburg, Germany, http://www.pab-opto.de
 [see web page to check digital email signature]