[Radiance-dev] Re: [Radiance-general] Re: Rvu window? (moved from Radiance-dev)

Georg Mischler schorsch at schorsch.com
Tue Nov 9 14:19:53 CET 2004

Carsten Bauer wrote:

> If you simply set the window sizes in pixels, and the ratio doesn't
> match the angle aspect ratio, you'll end up with a window filled only
> partially by the image in one dimension, which doesn't look very
> professional.

Rpict treats -x and -y as maximum values.  If the opening angles
result in a different image aspect, then it will fit the largest
possible rectangle of that aspect within the given -x/-y hull.

Rview applies the same concept, but uses the screen size as the hull.
It would be simple and straightforward to allow for a -geometry
override to that if someone is willing to volunteer the necessary
changes.

At the same time, it would probably be confusing to have -x and
-y determine the window size, because in a preview we usually
want to see a as much as possible as fast as possible. With rpict
we rather want (more) accurate results and may determine the
picture size based on the time we're willing to wait for them.

-schorsch

--
Georg Mischler  --  simulations developer  --  schorsch at schorsch com
+schorsch.com+  --  lighting design tools  --  http://www.schorsch.com/