[Radiance-general] Re: Rvu window? (moved from Radiance-dev)

Peter Apian-Bennewitz apian at pab-opto.de
Mon Nov 8 18:25:20 CET 2004

Greg Ward wrote:

> Hi Marija,
>
> This came up in July on the general list, and no one seemed to have a
> proper answer...
>
>     http://www.radiance-online.org/pipermail/radiance-general/2004-July/
> 001939.html
>
> The window size is determined by the X11 window manager.  Some window
> managers have preferences you can set for specific X11 clients, but I
> don't know where they live.  Do you know what window manager you are
> using?  (Hint: they are generally platform-specific, so if you tell
> us  what machine/OS you are using, this would help.)  Can anyone on
> the  list offer suggestions?
>
> -Greg
>
>> From: "Marija" <cveleglg at bankerinter.net>
>> Date: November 5, 2004 1:29:35 AM PST
>>
>> Hello,
>> Is there any way to define position and size of rvu window?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Marija

likely the original question was asking for something like

    rvu -geometry 100x600-0-0 -vf abc.vf -ab 2 .....

"man 7 X" says:

GEOMETRY SPECIFICATIONS
       One of the advantages of using window systems instead of
hardwired terminals is that applications don't have to be restricted to
a particular
       size  or  location  on  the screen.  Although the layout of
windows on a display is controlled by the window manager that the user
is running
       (described below), most X programs accept a command line argument
of the form -geometry WIDTHxHEIGHT+XOFF+YOFF (where  WIDTH,  HEIGHT,  XOFF,
       and YOFF are numbers) for specifying a preferred size and
location for this application's main window.

whereas rvu says:

merkur $ rvu -geometry 800x600 -vf close.vf baugruppen.oct
rvu: fatal - command line error at '-geometry'

-Peter

--
 pab-opto, Freiburg, Germany, http://www.pab-opto.de
 [see web page to check digital email signature]