[Radiance-general] Radiance Vs Radiosity

Peter Apian-Bennewitz apian at pab-opto.de
Mon May 31 09:32:52 CEST 2004

Rob Guglielmetti wrote:

>> Then, something I always thought was a hole missing from Radiance,
>> and perhaps is really just a limitation in my own radiance knowledge
>> is this.  All other lighting programs that I am aware of allow you to
>> place calculation grids, run calcs, and then display the grid point
>> results in relation to the calculation model (though most can't
>> do false color images).  Most programs will even export the results
>> to DXF for incorporation into CAD programs.  It seems rshow can do
>> some of this?
>

> Agreed, it's a missing link.  There are a few examples of using the
> cnt utility to create a grid, but it's not point and click.  rshow is
> supposed to have this functionality but I have not been able to
> compile that on my machines yet.  Certainly anyone with programming
> savvy could rwite something to place the calculated values (derived
> from rtrace and a supplied, cnt-generated grid of points) on a
> Radiance image, but it would have to be written.  That PAB paper sums
> it up the best, something about Radiance's greatest strength is also
> its greatest hindrance.  The open, unix toolbox approach to the suite
> allows for incredible flexibility, but you gotta roll up your sleeves
> and build the tools yourself.

rshow offered (offers, once I finally get the new version sorted out) a
display of 2D grid values together with the 3D Radiance scenery. It also
generates such a grid inside a planar surface which is defined by an
offset from a Radiance polygon.  There's no export to CAD format, as
rshow is intended to be a visualization tool and tries hard to stay away
from any CAD feature.
-Peter

--
 pab-opto, Freiburg, Germany, http://www.pab-opto.de
 [see web page to check digital email signature]