[Radiance-general] Re: replmarks and mirroring

Carsten Bauer cbauer- at t-online.de
Sat May 15 19:08:30 CEST 2004

Hi,

I think there might be some misunderstanding going on here..

-1) my joking comment about looking into the mirror is (sad but true ..)
a bit oversimplified. Of course you always need to specify additional
information, i.e., mirroring with respect to what, and although
intuitively one always thinks of a plane, sometimes the 'inversion'
(x,y,z) -> (-x,-y,-z) is also called a mirror operation,('mirroring with
respect to the origin'). On inversion, the normal also gets turned around.

-2) I never used replmarks before, but if I get it right from the
previous discussion, you set up a scene with triangles in CAD, convert
this to Radiance format and then replace the triangles with, say, instances.

The information about orientation is completely contained in the
triangles (as long as they are drawn according to the replmarks specs,
i.e. three different side lengths, of which the second and third
smallest stand for the local x and y axis. The mentioned cross product X
(x) Y = Z then is in fact the surface normal of the triangle.

You can now make a simple sketch on paper, draw a triangle with sides
parallel to the coordinate axes, and 'mirror' it with respect to the,
say, yz plane. If you simply replace the vertices by their mirrored
counterparts, you soon end up with an inverted normal, which is in fact
not what you want.

Now I don't know how formZ stores surface normal information, maybe it
is stored separately, allowing to override the above effect. And this
information then gets lost in the conversion, so replmarks gets feeded
the wrong triangle and thus transforms the instance equally wrong.

Maybe ... just a simple guess..

Anyway, I assume that the error already lies within the mirroring
operation. You can check this by drawing a simple scene in CAD with two
mirrored triangles and the look at the converted rad input file. (look
at the ordering of the two sets of vertices in the polygon data)

-cb