[Radiance-general] measuring color

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Wed May 12 15:16:18 CEST 2004

Hi Alexa,

Just a minor comment here. I have no doubt that the using a more
sophisticated measuring device will yield more accurate results.
However, I believe the method of using the machbethcolor checker card as
described in Rendering with Radiance is designed to calibrate to the
current lighting conditions, that is, assuming the use of a digital
camera, if we want to sample a particular material in a give lighting
condition, then we also sample the color checker chart under the same
conditions with the same sampling device (digital camera) and then
perform the calibration with macbethcal and pcomb. I do not know the
underlying method that Greg put together to do the calibration, so I am
not sure how he has accounted for varying light conditions vis a vis the
internal dataset that Radiance uses as part of the calibration mechanism.

-Jack de Valpine