[Radiance-general] ltview, a light source viewer

Rob Guglielmetti rpg at rumblestrip.org
Tue May 11 19:25:04 CEST 2004

Axel Jacobs wrote:

> Hi Rob
>
> I've tried ltview with this luminaire ... <snip>

> I can't see which one of the default rvu parameters causes this. Could
> be one of the -a* or -d*, but I am not sure...
> My feeling is that -av should be set to zero. The lamp might be very
> dim, in which case it's washed out with the ambient. Is it really
> necessary to involve rad? this is done in objview, because you don't
> know upfront how big the scene is etc.

Hi Axel,

Hmm.  The only parameters I change in the script are -ab (1 from 0) and
-ds (.15 from 0).  I suppose rad is making some other changes?  The
reason I'm using rad is because with the addition of the -bs option the
script also dosen't know how big the scene is.  I suppose I could change
it to set up a default view like you have, and scale the -vp if the user
enters a different value for -bs.  I was trying to change as little of
objview as possible though.  Anyone who's seen any of my programming
knows why. =8-)

I set -ab 1 because the scene just looks better, the bounce reveals
fixture geometry and glow sources; I thought by scaling the room with
-bs you could always have the light source close to the room surfaces,
minimizing the ambient washout problems.

Your erco source file shows a tiny ring (radius of .0175), but your
room/box is 10 units square (in your example).  Did you maybe assume
meters for one thing and milimeters for the other?  I did "ltview -bs .2
erco.rad" and it looked fine (and there is approx. 1730 Lux under the
fixutre, .1 units away).  I can't read an ies2rad -> rad file and spot
errors easily (hence this ltview utility), but I suspect maybe there's a
units mismatch.  That doesn't explain why your test scene at 10 units
square looks OK, though.  Hmmm.

Could you double-check your ies2rad input?

----

      Rob Guglielmetti

e. rpg at rumblestrip.org
w. www.rumblestrip.org