[Radiance-general] Re: Calculating maximum illuminance levels from daylight

Ben Masters mastersb at conwag.com
Fri May 7 01:29:45 CEST 2004

Thanks John,

I understand what you are proposing and have read your thesis previously
during my studies.

Local weather information available contains data for an average or
typical year. The sky may not be sunny during the time when the building
has the highest level of solar exposure (Winter solstice). Since the CIE
Clear Sky represents an extreme sky condition I thought I could pretty
much cover the worst case scenario, not actual measured irradiance data.

So, I am still unsure weather Radiance or Gensky will automatically
calculate the direct and diffuse illuminance given a clear sky, time
location etc. and if it does will these numbers be realistic or
theoretical? I am not concerned about overdesigning to handle an extreme
sky condition.

Surely once light from the sun has penetrated the earths atmosphere it is
at a constant level, varying in intensity by solar altitude (cosine law).

Thanks,
Ben