[Radiance-general] radiance error message

Jeffrey McGrew toast at becausewecan.org
Tue May 4 00:06:05 CEST 2004

> i am using Autocad Architectural Desktop 2000i with win2000 and all the patches

Gilles, this is the general Radiance list. You probably want to post
your errors and questions regarding Desktop Radiance to the Desktop
Radiance list, for you're much more likely to get the help you're
looking for.

> we are researching other light simulation study software
> i do have 2 Linux boxs in production, would Radiance work better with Linux?

In my experience Radiance works better as a 'full' version running
under some form of Unix. I use it primarily with Cygwin on Windows.

Cygwin is a 'mini-Linux' that allows you to run some Linux tools under
windows, and to port others to be able to run. It's open source, like
Radiance, so it's free. Thankfully, Francesco Anselmo ported Radiance
3.5 to run under Cygwin, which gives you full Radiance abilities under
windows. Here's the links to both:

http://www.cygwin.com/
http://www.dream.unipa.it/dream/pub/dot/anselmo/radiance/03.php

However there will be more of a learning curve for you with this
approach, for you'll have to learn BASH Unix command-line tools as
well as Radiance. I've also used Radiance with Mandrake Linux & OS X,
and both worked very well. However, learning how to use the full
Radiance package on Unix/Linux/Cygwin has taken me a long time, and
I've got quite a ways to go. It's not the easy road, but by far the
most rewarding. :-)

Also there is a commercial Radiance port for Windows called 'rayfront'
that gives you a much easier to use interface for Radiance. This might
be your best option off all, if Desktop Radiance doesn't work for what
you need and you find the full command-line Radiance too daunting but
you still want to use Radiance:

http://www.schorsch.com/

good luck!

Jeffrey