[Radiance-general] Whats causing these problems in my pics?

Georg Mischler schorsch at schorsch.com
Sun Mar 28 17:47:23 CEST 2004

John Sutherland wrote:

> Whats causing the blotching in the dark corners of objects?
>
> -x 2560 -y 2048 -ar 128 -ad 512 -aa .15 -as 256 -ab 3

You have -ad and -as at relatively soft settings, but your -aa is
quite tough in comparison. I assume it is known that -as should
usually be half of -ad, and that increasing both will reduce
splotches in most cases. What is less known is that -aa needs to
be in balance with them as well. The right balance may depend on
your scene, but often when increasing -ad/-as doesn't eliminate all
artifacts, you can take this as an indication that -aa is too small.

In fact, if you want a fast, relatively inaccurate, but sill nice
looking rendering, one possible way to get that is to increase
-aa more than you normally would. In fact, I whish rvu had a
higher default setting for -aa...

-schorsch

--
Georg Mischler  --  simulations developer  --  schorsch at schorsch com
+schorsch.com+  --  lighting design tools  --  http://www.schorsch.com/