[Radiance-general] RE: instances

Fitzsimmons, Rob Rob.Fitzsimmons at Summit.Fiserv.com
Wed Mar 24 20:50:41 CET 2004

Thanks Greg and Jack
I'm using -f and all is fine

-----Original Message-----
From: radiance-general-bounces at radiance-online.org
[mailto:radiance-general-bounces at radiance-online.org] On Behalf Of Jack de
Valpine
Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 6:19 AM
To: Radiance general discussion
Subject: Re: [Radiance-general] instances

Hi Rob,

It is possible that some of the octrees that define your instances need to
be recompiled (w/ oconv) because of changes or updates to materials or
geometry relating to the instance object. This could occur if you are using
one master material file or sharing multiple material files within your
scene. A reason that this may only be occuring sporadically as an error is
that for views where the instances are not in the view then rays are not
going to be traced to the instance object.

If what I have indicated is in fact the basis for the error, then one way to
avoid this is to comile your instance objects with the -f option (this in
effect binds everything into the octree ) making the object self sustaining.
The potential downside to this is if these instance are going to be
dependant on changes and upadates to materials then you need to remember to
recompile them if you make changes to the material files (that is additions
or deletions of material information, changes to current material parameters
are fine).

Hope this helps,

-Jack

Fitzsimmons, Rob wrote:

I'm getting sporatic errrors when I'm using the instance primitive...

   "Modifier in tree; octree stale?"

Apperantly, it says I'm using a modifier in the instance that was already
defined in a .rad?

My rif file list these scenes

scene= overcast.rad - # lighting
material= Officemat.rad   #materials only
scene= OfficestallNC.rad  #geometry only
scene= memberservices.rad  - # contains  2 instances  deskdude.oct  and
helpcube.oct
   # deskdude.oct         contains       deskdude.rad
   #  helpcube.oct         contains       basicdude0.rad and cube.rad

I have looked through to make sure I'm not duplicating (or relying on)
previous modifiers

I'm not getting what I might be missing - the render will work for a while -
then I change a viewpoint and restart the rif - that's when I get the error.

Any Ideas or tips?

Thanks Rob F

  _____

Radiance-general at radiance-online.org
<mailto:Radiance-general at radiance-online.org>

#	John E. de Valpine

#	president

#

#	visarc incorporated

#	http://www.visarc.com <http://www.visarc.com>

#

#	channeling technology for superior design and construction