[Radiance-general] Re: falsecolor and textlabels question

Greg Ward gward at lmi.net
Fri Mar 19 20:51:20 CET 2004

Forgot to forward this to the group.  Maybe it's of interest to someone.

-G

Begin forwarded message:

From: Greg Ward <gward at lmi.net>
Date: March 19, 2004 8:58:49 AM PST
To: "Pierre-Felix Breton" <mail_lists at pfbreton.com>

Hi Pierre-Felix,

I think I understood your question, and I answered it as best I could.
There are exactly two extrema points in any data set, so you won't get
more than this using falsecolor (or any other tool).  However, you can
get a legend corresponding to other values using the -cl or -cb options
of falsecolor.  If you want actual numeric labels superimposed on your
image, you have to use the trick I explained with ximage, which
unfortunately works only on certain X11 servers.  Failing that, you
would have to do a bit of programming with the C-shell to get place
labels in your image.

Here is an example that works within a C-shell:

% ximage -olp -e auto picture.hdr | ( echo -n 'pcond picture.hdr |
pcompos - 0 0' ; rcalc -o ' "\\!psign -h 12 ${$1}" ${$2} ${$3}\' ; echo
'| ra_tiff - labelled.tif' ) | csh -f

Once ximage is up, type 't' at the places where you want it to report
the luminance.  Obviously, you'll have to substitute both occurences of
"picture.hdr" with your HDR image name.  The output is put in the TIFF
"labelled.tif"

-Greg

P.S.  Why on Earth are you using Mental Ray?  Don't you LIKE long,
incomprehensible command lines?