[Radiance-general] Mkillum usage? with stained glass....

Rob Guglielmetti rpg at rumblestrip.org
Tue Mar 16 15:18:30 CET 2004

On Mar 15, 2004, at 8:05 PM, John Sutherland wrote:
> Firstly – Ive read a lot about the mkillum approach, so for stained
> glass I’m guessing I create an object that is textured glass material,
> and have the mkillum secondary source behind it? Shining through. This
> presumably will project the colours of the glass into the room?

I still struggle with the correct usage of illum, but let's have a go
at it.  Generally, for most accurate results, the glass panes
themselves would be converted to illums.  But in this case, I'm
imagining that your window is comprised of lots of irregularly shaped
pieces of glass.  These will never resolve properly when mkillum tries
to convert these polygons into illums.  I'd guess your best bet is to
create some impostor geometry just on the *inside* of the stained glass
window geometry.

> Secondly – You can see mkillum sources from the rear side, I’m
> guessing you turn them off for renders of the outside of buildings
> looking at the windows?

Hmm.  For an exterior rendering, I'd turn them off, but not for the
reason you mention.  Illums are invisible when visible.  That is to
say, in views where the illum geometry is directly visible, it is not
rendered.  So, don't worry about excluding illums from your scenes if
visibility is ever a concern.

But in this example case, a rendering outside the building, the illums
aren't contributing anything to the image so why even waste time adding
them to the scene and calculating them?  So, for your exterior views
you should use a different set of parameters, and leave out the stained
window illum geometry (the stained glass itself will get illuminated by
your sky & sun and thus will still look correct.)

> Secondly – I’m really interested in the internal lighting, how bright
> the inside will be at different times of day etc. When I render
> internally with no av settings (rview), and set e to 1 is it bringing
> the environment into a range that we can see? What im saying is, how
> do I know what settings to use to get the most realistic
> representation of what it would have been like to the human eye? I
> know this is a tricky problem considering that the human eye adjusts
> to light. How can I approach this problem?

Whoo-whee.  Well, that is a monster question.  Simple answer is that
there is no simple answer to this.  Every model you do in Radiance will
present new challenges, but Radiance by and large can handle whatever
you throw at it.  Have you used the rad program yet?  Rad will
certainly get you going in the right direction quickly.  You can also
save the various parameters that rad feeds to rpict and inspect them
later.  It's quite educational.  You're on the right track with illum
there, that will improve your results and accuracy immensely.  Careful
application of mkillum, a handful of ambient bounces and say Q=M V=H
D=[M or H] for your rad settings and you'll be in good shape, in
general.

Your question about eye adaptation leads me to one of my favorite tools
in the Radiance suite, pcond.  Pcond is a tonemapping program which
already has a very useful commandline parameter (-h) built into it to
simulate human visibility in a Radiance image.  So, after you generate
your radiance images, you simply run them through pcond like so:

pcond -h image.pic image-human.pic

Pcond takes the radiance image and performs a tonemapping operation.
The results are fantastic, and it's really one of the best ways to
demonstrate the power of Radiance to people.

Have fun, and welcome aboard!