[Radiance-general] Re: Major Axis definition

Greg Ward gward at lmi.net
Wed Mar 3 02:58:40 CET 2004

Hi Marcus,

The "major axis" is the dominant component in the surface normal vector
(the axis with the largest absolute value).  Since barycentric
coordinates are defined in two dimensions, I throw away the major axis
direction as it is the one most perpendicular to the plane of the
triangle, and I just use the other two.  This is no less accurate than
doing a fancy projection and a whole lot cheaper.

The functions defined in tmesh.h and tmesh.c in src/common/ should help
you out.

-Greg