[Radiance-general] mixfunc for dichroic film?

Greg Ward gward at lmi.net
Mon Mar 1 18:52:45 CET 2004

Hi Guilio,

That is correct -- Radiance only finds virtual source objects using
mirror or prism material types directly.  It doesn't even look if you
have a modifier in front of the material in the chain (e.g., you
reference a pattern before the material).

I recently made a change that allows Radiance to find ordinary sources
when the source material is further down the modifier chain or
alias'ed, but I didn't do this for virtual source materials, whose
surfaces must still be modified directly.  Actually, I should make the
change so aliases and intervening modifiers work properly with virtual
source material types -- there's no reason not to.   This still won't
work for mixtures, in any case.

Mixtures don't make a lot of sense for sources or virtual source
materials the way Radiance is designed, in my opinion.

-Greg