[Radiance-general] Fwd: errors from hdrgen

Greg Ward gward at lmi.net
Sat Jun 12 07:18:51 CEST 2004

Hi Pillo,

Basically, I'm writing to agree with Santiago.  If you want repeatable
measurements, you have to fix your camera's white balance to a
particular setting.  Otherwise, the response curves for the three
channels will change.  Technically, the camera merely applies a
different multiplier to its three channels, but it does this in a color
space other than RGB -- a space we cannot know after the image has been
recorded in a JPEG or TIFF.  Because we cannot know when and how the
camera's gamma/contrast curve is applied relative to its color
transformation(s), it is not possible to back this out.  The best we
can do is keep the color space transitions constant by fixing the white
balance and contrast settings on the camera, and let hdrgen do its best
to estimate the response function on the result.

-Greg