[Radiance-general] Fwd: errors from hdrgen

Martin Matusiak alex at juventuz.net
Fri Jun 11 11:13:43 CEST 2004

Ah yes, I had been meaning to try the camera calibration technique but I
hadn't come around to it. It turns out to be very useful. But I still have
some issues. I took in all 13 pictures of an indoor scene looking out the
window for the calibration. I then had to remove the darkest and the lightest
of them to get a hdr image. That leaves about 8 images and I get a hdr image
but there are errors in the conversion process.

The resulting hdr does not look very good, first of all the alignment
algorithm always distorts it like crazy. The images were taken with a tripod
so they should be reasonably well aligned but the algorithm moves them all
over the place. So I disable that. I tried setting -g to kill the ghosts but
that totally messed up the color balance of the image.

If I only turn off the alignment algorithm, the image still looks very
green/brown however. I take it this isn't supposed to happen? I toggle the
exposure adjustment but it makes no difference.

Pardon my ignorance, but is the hdr image supposed to look a lot like the
original? Is it a bad sign when the color balance is all wrong?

The images I took are enclosed. They were taken sequentially from lowest to
highest exposure, -2 to 2 in 1/3 steps. White balance was set to "overcast"
and should be the same for all, taken within 1 minute of each other.

url: http://www.juventuz.com/_temp/for_calibration.tar.bz2

If you have more luck with them, I'd love to know what options were used in
the conversion process.

Martin