[Radiance-general] rtrace-command

Greg Ward gward at lmi.net
Wed Jun 9 18:21:52 CEST 2004

Hi Olga,

It seems you did misunderstand a bit.  Rtrace is the underlying
computational engine that permits the holodeck interactive program to
operate.  Rtrace does the raw ray-tracing, and the holodeck program
handles user interaction and display update.  For more details on
running rholo, see the manual page at:

	http://radsite.lbl.gov/radiance/man_html/rholo.1.html

I hope this helps.
-Greg

> From: graf-o at freenet.de
> Date: June 9, 2004 9:03:17 AM PDT

Hi!

  In the paper 'The Holodeck Interactive Ray Cache' the authors describe
amongs other things how the command rtrace is working. As far as I
understood, it is possible to interact with the virtual environment
using a mouse while running this command. Unfortunately I haven't
managed yet to see anything while running rtrace even for 2 hours. The
octree-file I am using is not that huge (5,2 MB), so I thing I am not
using the right options of rtrace (or I misunderstood the whole thing
completely). Which options I am supposed to use to run the program
interactively? What would be an example command line?

  Thanks!

  Olga Graf