[Radiance-general] conversion of digital pictures to Radiance?

Greg Ward gward at lmi.net
Tue Jun 1 15:52:41 CEST 2004

Hi Barbara,

I don't recommend using the RAW format for Photosphere or hdrgen.
Since there is no "RAW" standard -- RAW is a maker-specific and
model-specific(!) format, conversion is necessary before it can be read
by any other program (with few exceptions).  You only complicate your
life by using RAW, and some of the exposure information that
Photosphere and hdrgen need is usually lost in translation to JPEG or
TIFF.

I'm sorry the manual page for hdrgen is missing from the binaries that
are currently on the anyhere site -- I'll have to fix that as soon as
I'm able to get back on there.  (They upgraded their servers and ssh
isn't working right now.)  I am attaching the HTML documentation for
hdrgen for your convenience.

If you can gain access to a Mac running OS X, you'll find it much
easier to create and calibrate HDR images with Photosphere, I bet.