[Radiance-general] illum rules of thumb

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Sat Jul 31 13:49:11 CEST 2004

Hi!

> Disadvantages outside:
> - Direct sampling from the inside will have to get past the
>   window geometry to hit the illums. This can affect both
>   rendering speed and accuracy. You can improve the accuracy by
>   suitable values for -ds and -dj (you should set those anyway
>   when using illums). You can also subdivide your illums in a way
>   that makes it more likely that their centers will be close to a
>   clear part of your window geometry.

But what about the indirect calculation? As far as I understood, it is
one of the main reasons to use illum surfaces at the windows to reduce
the errors caused by the ambient calculation, which can cause visible
artifacts. And this problem could still arise if the illum is placed
outside. Am I wrong here?

CU Lars.
--
Lars O. Grobe