[Radiance-general] Re: Units

Greg Ward gward at lmi.net
Fri Jul 16 19:16:37 CEST 2004

Beware to those who attempt to read the Radiance source code -- it is
not meant for human eyes!  I have trouble interpreting it, myself.  The
best I can say for it is that it compiles well, most of the time....

Though it's true that gensky uses a different efficacy for the sky
conversion, it only does this when the zenith brightness is being
computed from turbidity, which is an iffy proposition at best.  If you
use either the -b or -B options to enter your own zenith radiance or
irradiance (from TRY data or on-site measurements), it is YOUR
responsibility to convert from whatever was measured to the right units
for your simulation.  If you took a luminance measurement on a gray
sky, then you should divide by 179.  If your sky has some color to it,
you should take this into account as Chas recommends.

-Greg

> From: Charles Ehrlich <ckehrlich at yahoo.com>
> Date: July 16, 2004 9:56:39 AM PDT

A caution regarding gensky, luminous efficacy factors and spectral
conversions.

The physical skydome is strongly blue-colored.  This matters if you are
attempting to represent the brightness of objects relative to sources
of light with different spectra, and/or relative to room surfaces with
different reflectance spectra.

Blue light is more efficacious, i.e., it both has more energy and
appears brighter.  The lumens per watt conversion factor of 179 is
really only valid for pure white light (I think I've got that right?).
If you look into the source code for gensky, you will see that a
different lm/watt factor was used to derive the zenith brightness (203
??).  But this efficacy is not tied to the color of the skydome as
modeled by the user in the input file in the skyfunc "glow" entity
below:

skyfunc glow sky_glow
0 0
4 0.75 0.9 1.2 0

sky_glow source sky
0 0
4 0 0 1 180

I do not know your specific application, but if the appearance of the
sky is not important for your simulations, you might consider changing
the skydome glow color component to be equal R G B factors (1 1 1) so
that you do not convolve different efficacy factors and spectral
influences on your final result.  Alternatively, you could re-write
gensky so that it adjusts the luminance of the skydome (by adjusting
the lm/watt factor) in response to the color of the skyglow primitives.

In a quick study of this effect several years ago, we found errors as
much as 20%--which is small potatoes for daylight simulation purposes,
but troubling nevertheless because it is (arguably) an internal
consistency error, not a modeling error.

The real problem is that the international unit of luminous flux is
defined in terms of a human perceptual factor rather than on a
radiometric unit, imho.  This results in skydome brightness
measurements in candellas per meter squared (instead of watts/meter
squared) whose conversion factor depends upon the color of the
light source.

-Chas