[Radiance-general] Radiance Mac GUI?

Georg Mischler schorsch at schorsch.com
Wed Jul 7 23:22:28 CEST 2004

Fitzsimmons, Rob wrote:

> What would be involved with creating a simple Radiance GUI with Xcode?

Yet another platform dependent render preview GUI?

http://www.python.org/
http://www.wxpython.org/ (http://www.wxwidgets.org/)
http://pyopengl.sourceforge.net/

If we turn libraycalls.a into a Python extension (it's easy),
then a GUI in Python using WxPython/WxWidgets will work on all
platforms that Radiance currently supports.  We have the sources
of Winrview, where we can borrow some of the logic about how to
paint the image and other stuff.

There are several GUI builders around that could be used for
this. The most promising one used to be BoaConstructor, although
development on that one seems to have slowed down.
The UI description files produced by Glade can also be used,
even on those platforms where WxWidgets doesn't use Gtk.

http://boa-constructor.sourceforge.net/ (fetch from CVS)
http://wxglade.sourceforge.net/

There will be a lot of details to solve, but those belong to
the dev-list. Any volunteers? ;)

> Or - Ive heard and kind of experienced that each scene has its own quirks
> and needs - maybe a simple scene would not give a reasonable idea of what
> would be needed for a complex scene.

Yes, that's entirely correct. You need to play with the real thing.

-schorsch

--
Georg Mischler  --  simulations developer  --  schorsch at schorsch com
+schorsch.com+  --  lighting design tools  --  http://www.schorsch.com/