[Radiance-general] mgf2inv vrml experiences?

Bernhard Spanlang [email protected]
Mon, 19 Jan 2004 13:40:40 -0000

Hi Lars,

There is a tool for converting inventor files to VRML1 and 2 called
ivToVRML.
On SGIs with inventor this is installed by default.
Fortunately there is a GPL version of Inventor from Systems in Motion
that can be compiled on Macs, Unix and Win32 called Coin which you can
download
in source code from http://www.coin3d.org/
Unfortunately there are no sources for ivToVRML in Coin.
The sources for ivToVRML you can find as part of the example files of
TGS Inventor at
ftp://ftp.tgs.com/OpenInventor/common/oiv25_common.tar.Z
In the directory tree under
OpenInventor2.5\src\tools\ivtovrml
After some minor modifications this can be compiled with the coin library.
ivToVRML supports VRML1 and VRML2 output.
I have successully used it to convert files from rad2mgf|mgf2inv
to VRML1 and VRML2 that can be loaded for example in Cortona.
mgf2inv ignors the new mesh primitiv and more complex materials like BRTDFs
but works
well for basic geometry and materials.

Bernhard