[Radiance-general] Re: query about accurately modelling glazing

Zack Rogers [email protected]
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 18:11:56 -0700

Hi Daniel,

>My question is this.  To what extent will my simplified way of
>describing the transmittance affect the accuracy of my results?

Defining glass using the BRTDFunc method just lets you more accurately
define the front and back reflectance of the glass.  Defining glass with
just the glass primitive uses a default front and back reflectance.

>don't completely understand the workings of the BRTDfunc (even after reading the manual page), and
>think I
>would have trouble measuring any variable of glazing other than
>transmittance of the specimens I am sampling in the real world (Rendering with Radiance
>talks briefly of measuring glazing transmittance,
>but not things like reflectance.

I recommend looking at Optics 5 from LBNL.

http://windows.lbl.gov/materials/optics5/

 It has a very extensive database of just about every type of glass and
glass compositions available and allows you to build up various double
pane combinations and save it all as a Radiance input file.  Rather than
measuring a sample in the real world and defining it in Radiance, you
could probably find the glazing in this database and use Optics 5 to
define it.

>I presume also that transmittance + reflectance (+ absorptance) of
>glazing can never exceed 1.  In Desktop Radiance, the description of
>Generic clear glass lbnl (clear3.rad) states a transmittance of
>89.90% and a reflection of 82.0%.  Is my understanding fundementally
>wrong, or is this a typo?

I've always been a little confused how desktop radiance defines glass.
The front RGB reflectance is actually defined with this line under
"clear3_front"

0.07428    0.08322    0.08556

and the back RGB reflectance is defined with this line under "clear3_back"

0.07567    0.08418    0.08538

So the reflectances are roughly 8% which does obey the rule.

I am not completely clear what the other RGB values are but my guess is
that they modify the transmittivity defined under clear3_glass somehow.
Whenever I've manually defined glass I've used this form (from
"glazing.cal") instead, its just a little clearer to me.

mod BRTDfunc my_glazing
    10    rrho    grho    brho
        rtau    gtau    btau
        0    0    0
        glazing.cal
    0
    18    0    0    0
        0    0    0
        0    0    0
        FRRHO    FGRHO    FBRHO
        BRRHO    BGRHO    BBRHO
        RTAU    GTAU    BTAU

    where:
        FRRHO    FGRHO    FBRHO    is front normal spectral reflectance
        BRRHO    BGRHO    BBRHO    is back normal spectral reflectance
        RTAU    GTAU    BTAU    is normal spectral transmittance

Hope this helps!

Zack

--
Zack Rogers