[Radiance-general] Re: rendering parameters and illum spheres

Charles Ehrlich [email protected]
Fri, 9 Jan 2004 10:28:51 -0800 (PST)

--0-1200146124-1073672931=:30845

Greg,

Can you confirm that Radiance still does not subdivide illum spheres during its source sampling routines?  If this is still true, then no amount of "-dj" is going to help the situation that John is having.  I have run into this problem where the lack of source subdivisions on spheres cause some nasty side effects.  For example, I used a sphere to enclose the illuminating part of a torchiere.  The reflection on the polished floor appeared as if there was a ball of fire floating a few inches above the torchiere.  Other times, supporting geometry would not be illuminated correctly as it gets close to the illum sphere--similar to the problems John was describing.

So obviously, high on my wish list is adding illum spheres to the source sampling subdivision routines.

-Chas

--0-1200146124-1073672931=:30845

<DIV>Greg,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Can you confirm that Radiance still does not subdivide illum spheres during its source sampling routines?&nbsp; If this is still true, then no amount of "-dj" is going to help the situation that John is having.&nbsp; I have run into this&nbsp;problem where the lack of source subdivisions on spheres cause some nasty side effects.&nbsp; For example, I used a sphere to enclose the illuminating part of a torchiere.&nbsp; The reflection on the polished floor appeared as if there was a ball of fire floating a few inches&nbsp;above the torchiere.&nbsp; Other times, supporting geometry would not be illuminated correctly as it gets close to the illum sphere--similar to the problems John was describing.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>So obviously, high on my wish list is adding illum spheres to the source sampling subdivision routines.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>-Chas</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>