[Radiance-general] real time

Peter Apian-Bennewitz [email protected]
Wed, 07 Jan 2004 20:26:37 +0100

etsaweb wrote:

> There are several utilities in radiance to achieve interativity with
> radiance(rview, rholo...) but all of them are based in sofware, so
> they are a bit slow, is there any way in which radiance can make use
> of hardware acceleration? or could be it possible in future? can
> opengl help to it?...

Hi,
Today's hardware acceleration is polygon based. Every geometry is
tesselated into triangles and feed more or less optimized into a
"geometry pipeline" that is made up of specialied hardware transforming
the 3d triangles to 2d screen triangles, removing hidden surfaces and
painting the triangles (shading and texturing). The interface specs of
the entry point into the pipeline are defined by OpenGL. Only very
rudimentary lighting (termed shadow free "local" lighting with a simple
surface model) is done at the hardware level. It could be useful in the
Radiance context for either speeding up basic drawing functions or as a
pure (non-physical lit) geometry display engine.
Open-GL is used by rholo to speed up "painting" of triangles and by
"rshow" for displaying the geometry. I found the latter one useful for
interactive display (thats why I wrote it) , but I'm still not donating
enough time to port it to the new internal libs of R3.5, so a fresh
version is not yet ready.
There are some ideas around as to map pre-calculated lighting "levels"
onto polygons and then feed them though the pipeline at interactive
rates, and there are questions as to whether stick to the geometry
(rshow like) or a "scene cube" (rholo like) or an intelligent (read
"fast") mix of the two. Greg had some pretty good ideas about this in
mind years ago, which never really materialized in projects so far. (as
far as I'm aware).

-Peter

--
 pab-opto, Freiburg, Germany, http://www.pab-opto.de
 [see web page to check digital email signature]