[Radiance-general] Re: [Radiance-addons] Prismatic glazing/blind reflector system analysis

Jack de Valpine [email protected]
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:37:34 -0500

--------------070302000509010605010103

Hi Anthony,

To simulate the perfomance of things like light pipes, you need to use a
tool with forward raytracing capabilities, radiance in its classic form
is a backward raytracer:

    * forward raytracing - trace rays from sources in scene to eyepoint
    * backward raytracing  - trace rays from eyepoint back into scene

One way to do forward raytracing is "photon mapping." Roland Schregle
has written an extension to radiance that performs photon mapping:

    * http://www.radiance-online.org/ see "examples & extensions" in the
      software section
    * http://www.ise.fhg.de/alt-aber-aktiv/radiance/photon-map/

Since this is an extension to the core radiance engine, this will
require moving beyond Desktop Radiance.

Note there are two prism material types in Radiance: prism1 and prism2.
These would probably be useful for defining the properties of the
prismatic glazing, the trick is acquiring perfomance data for the
physical material(s) and correctly modeling the behavior with these
radiance material types. I have not really used these material types
before. However there should be others in the group who can provide
feedback to you.

It is also possble the depending on how you breakdown your problem that
there are simpler ways to do what you want. For example what are the key
issues of what you are trying to simulate and evaluate:

    * properties of light pipe performance - then this probably requires
      the use of photon mapping
    * properties of prismatic glazing as enhancers of light distribution
      - can this be seperated out from the light pipe and evaluated
      using more classic techniques in standard radiance, in other words
      can you make some estimates for light output from the side
      apertures of the light pipe and thus remove the actual simulation
      of the light pipe behavior?

I expect you wil get other input, which I will look forward to reading
myself.

Best Regards,

-Jack de Valpine

PS: I have cross posted to radiance-general, to give the discussion
wider input.

--
#	John E. de Valpine
#	president

--------------070302000509010605010103

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Hi Anthony,<br>
To simulate the perfomance of things like light pipes, you need to use
a tool with forward raytracing capabilities, radiance in its classic
form is a backward raytracer:<br>
<ul>
  <li>forward raytracing - trace rays from sources in scene to eyepoint</li>
  <li>backward raytracing&nbsp; - trace rays from eyepoint back into scene</li>
</ul>
One way to do forward raytracing is "photon mapping." Roland Schregle
has written an extension to radiance that performs photon mapping: <br>
<ul>
  <li><a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.radiance-online.org/">http://www.radiance-online.org/</a> see "examples &amp; extensions"
in the software section</li>
  <li><a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.ise.fhg.de/alt-aber-aktiv/radiance/photon-map/">http://www.ise.fhg.de/alt-aber-aktiv/radiance/photon-map/</a></li>
</ul>
Since this is an extension to the core radiance engine, this will
require moving beyond Desktop Radiance. <br>
Note there are two prism material types in Radiance: prism1 and prism2.
These would probably be useful for defining the properties of the
prismatic glazing, the trick is acquiring perfomance data for the
physical material(s) and correctly modeling the behavior with these
radiance material types. I have not really used these material types
before. However there should be others in the group who can provide
feedback to you.<br>
It is also possble the depending on how you breakdown your problem that
there are simpler ways to do what you want. For example what are the
key issues of what you are trying to simulate and evaluate:<br>
<ul>
  <li>properties of light pipe performance - then this probably
requires the use of photon mapping</li>
  <li>properties of prismatic glazing as enhancers of light
distribution - can this be seperated out from the light pipe and
evaluated using more classic techniques in standard radiance, in other
words can you make some estimates for light output from the side
apertures of the light pipe and thus remove the actual simulation of
the light pipe behavior?<br>
  </li>
</ul>
I expect you wil get other input, which I will look forward to reading
myself.<br>
Best Regards,<br>
-Jack de Valpine<br>
PS: I have cross posted to radiance-general, to give the discussion
wider input.<br>
Anthony J. Farrell wrote:<br>
 cite="[email protected]">
  <pre wrap="">Hi folks,

[...]

  </pre>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
#	John E. de Valpine
#	president
#
#	visarc incorporated
#	<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.visarc.com">http://www.visarc.com</a>
#
#	channeling technology for superior design and construction</pre>

--------------070302000509010605010103--