[Radiance-general] Re: point calcs for verification: oddness

Rob Guglielmetti rpg at rumblestrip.org
Sun Dec 12 03:58:46 CET 2004

On Dec 11, 2004, at 1:48 PM, Mark de la Fuente wrote:

> Rob,
>
> When using IES files, do you think it's better to convert your lamp
> color to white or use the real color values?  I always use the
> V-lambda multiplier (something like... rcalc -e
> '$1=($1*.265+$2*.67+$3*.065)*179' ) and include the color when using
> ies2rad.  Seems like things get complicated when you are running
> calculations and renderings and you have different types of sources.
> Maybe white is best?

Hi Mark,

I use white for lamp color, since the renderings tend to look funky
when you use actual lamp colors.  RwR goes into this a bit, explaining
it better than I could, but the general deal is that the eye is still
better than any machine at dealing with visualizing scenes.  The eye
does an amazing color-balance job, on the fly, that computer displays
cannot, so color temperature differences tend to get exaggerated in
renderings when you use explicit lamp colors.

On the other hand, I botched a point calc that didn't even involve
cosine evaluation, so you may wanna think 2x (or 10.76x) before asking
me *anything* about this stuff.  ;-)

Still embarrassed,
Rob Guglielmetti

www.rumblestrip.org