[Radiance-general] printing floating point images

Carsten Bauer cbauer- at t-online.de
Thu Dec 2 22:05:06 CET 2004

Georg Mischler wrote:
> Peter Apian-Bennewitz wrote:
>

>>Carsten Bauer wrote:
>

>>>cmyk is probably a bit out of date nowadays, it always was a rather
>>>poor standard suitable for those big printing machines of former time.
>>

> The pigments on a print will almost always be cymk (sometimes
> augmented with additional colors). This has nothing to do with
> "big machines of former time", but simply with the laws of
> physics.

hmm, if it were for the physics alone, we wouldn't need the k, so we'll
have to take chemistry and engineering (and of course physiology) into
account, also. In most high-quality printing jobs (e.g. art catalogues)
additional pigments are used to overcome the cmyk (saturation)-limitations.

But instead of quarreling about this I simply wanted to say that the new
RGB laser printers usually do a very good job with their automatic
operation, at least for images without strong color bias.
I admit that I haven't bothered so far about what's going on inside the
machine, they're very expensive, so I believe you that some complicated
stuff is working inside.)

I also think it's out of question that the contrast range and color
saturation of machine made prints cannot compare to those of
transparencies or oil paintings. But the color resolution of those laser
prints is fairly high so you can get a lot of information from the image
onto the print also. I noticed this once in a negative sense, when I
hoped that some faint splotches which were hardly visible on the screen
would finally disappear on the print due to limited color space
resolution - they didn't, and remained nicely visible.. :-(

ahmm, and yes, Rob, I meant of course pcond..

-cb