[Radiance-general] printing floating point images

Peter Apian-Bennewitz apian at pab-opto.de
Thu Dec 2 10:54:52 CET 2004

Carsten Bauer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> cmyk is probably a bit out of date nowadays, it always was a rather
> poor standard suitable for those big printing machines of former time.
> As already mentioned, the best way today is to use those new fancy
> laser printers which use rgb directly without color space conversion.

not really my field of expertise, but -
probably one should measure the spectral reflectance of each printed
primary color to come with a good color calibration ? Or is that purely
academic ?
I had found it rather difficult to get a feel what the a laser printer
does internally, what happens between the RGB values in the PS or PDF
file and the beam intensity. Has the user enough control over that
process to justify a calibration ? Anyone got (negative ?) experiences
to reproduce colors and shades between self-calibrations of a printer ?

-Peter

--
 pab-opto, Freiburg, Germany, http://www.pab-opto.de
 [see web page to check digital email signature]