[Radiance-general] radiance + openmosix = :)

Carsten Bauer cbauer- at t-online.de
Sat Aug 28 17:01:27 CEST 2004

Hi Francesco,

I can partly confirm the observations from your parallel rendering
experiments. I didn't use openmosix so far, but some time ago I wrote a
parallel Radiance using the PVM-Library ('Parallel Virtual Machine').

This PVM provides a collection of routines for interprocess
communication on different sorts of machines. Instead of using rpiece I
changed the Radiance code to produce a set of master and slave modules,
one for the distribution of the work, the others for doing the rendering
and  collecting the results to produce the final picture. By this, I
also could avoid the Linux lock manager problem for the ambient files,
as I shared ambient values among the processes with help of the PVM
routines.

Although PVM offers to connect all sorts of machines and OS-es together,
it is of course advisable to use a symmetric cluster built from machines
with comparable speed. (BTW, by this you also can use the same data
format on all machines and don't need to codec data into a separate
exchange buffer).

I started with 4 equal 400MHz processors, when I later added faster
machines, I quickly observed that, e.g  the two 1.2 GHz machines already
finished almost all the blocks of the divided image when the four old
ones hardly managed to trace one block each. So it really doesn't pay
off to add slow machines to your cluster.

Additionally, the overhead from parallelization was considerable. I
didn't really care about benchmarking, but I remember to have had an
overhead of rougly about 20% (with my PVM version), meaning when using
e.g. 4 machines, rendering was not 4 times but only ~3.2 times faster.(
-nb: PVM does no migrating, at least not the version from several years
ago). Its important to make the blocks small, because you almost always
will end up with the following: all machines finished long time ago but
only one still working on it's last block :-)

Another totally different problem I observed was that sometimes the
block boundaries have been visible, i.e. the image showed a checkered
pattern, different blocks appeared with different brightnesses. I came
so far to attribute this effect to the direct calculation, but haven't
completely found out where exactly the cause lies.

Nevertheless that migrating of openmosix sounds interesting, if I find
the time I'd like to have a look at it..

so long & see you in Fribourg

-Carsten