[Radiance-general] Shinny objects that reflect their environment

Rob Guglielmetti rpg at rumblestrip.org
Wed Aug 18 20:29:12 CEST 2004

Bei Xiao wrote:
> Thank you. But doesn't the roughness parameter control the blurring of the
> specular highlight of a surface? Why using it will preventing having any
> mirror image?

Specular highlights contribute to the mirror image.  Just give it a try,
setting roughness to zero.  My first experiment with a specular floor
material, I mistakenly set roughness to zero, and my floor looked like
an ice skating rink.  All objects in the room were reflected perfectly
in the floor.  Not saying it's realistic, just saying it's a quick
lesson in roughness' contribution to the mirror image you are seeking.

Here's a good chart showing the effects of varying both specularity &
roughness:  http://www.artifice.com/radiance/rad_specularity.jpg

----

      Rob Guglielmetti

e. rpg at rumblestrip.org